With the gym outfit sorted, we often forget the most important garment item and that’s a good sports bra, one that offers the best support for your breasts.
According to Sandra Thomas, the owner of Satin Candy, “A sports bras main purpose is to reduce the movement of the breasts. The main reason for wearing a sport bra comes down to the fact that breasts do not have muscle, they need proper support, no matter what their size. Without the correct support the skin and ligaments will become damaged, leading to sagging”.
A good quality sports bra is a must during any physical activity. Exercise makes breasts bounce up, down and even in a figure eight shape. Continuous and repetitive movements can result in soreness, pain and sagging if your “girls” do not have the correct support.
The skin and Cooper’s ligaments (ligaments near the breast which give them their size and shape) can break down and cause sagging. Once you’re Cooper’s ligaments stretch out, they do not bounce back.
When people exercise or do any sort of physical activity, they will definitely experience bouncing. Therefore, every woman, no matter what size she is, should wear a sports bra while running or exercising to support and protect her breasts.
What makes the Anita Sports Bra a must-have item?
This particular bra fuses high-function details like no other sports bra: complete stability supported by the X-shaped back which produces a “less bounce“ effect “while still being easy to wear and comfortable thanks to its ‘easy on and off’” features which include:
- Moulded, seamless, wireless cups that are made of breathable, wicking non-stretch knit
- Fused two-ply cup has ventilated mesh on the outside and soft brushed knit on the inside.
- Two-tone body with contrast accents looks attractive and is practical for sports.
- Tall center panel contains you for confident wear, with ventilation for comfort.
- Sides and back have ventilated mesh, and covered elastic at the top for a better fit.
- Straps sit further from the neck than other racer-backs, to help keep muscles more relaxed.
- Wide, padded, non-stretch front straps have rounded edges.
- Back stretch straps are diagonally anchored at inner side seams, providing 3 layers of stretch knit for extra support to sides.
- CoolMax mesh lined racer-back is placed ergonomically for best shoulder mobility.
- Silvertone metal hook-and-eye closure in back.
- Back opening opens to side seam, easier to get on and off compared to other sports bras.
- Special absorbency that doesn’t cause you to sweat excessively.
Finally, if you do have a sport bra, remember you still need to take care of it as you would any other bra. Sports bras do eventually lose their elasticity, however in saying that, there are certainly ways to lengthen its life span. On average a good sports bra should last six months to one year or approximately 72 washes.
Ideally, you want a sports bra that fits well, both in the band and cups. Overall, your sports bra should feel a bit snugger than a regular bra; however, you should be able to breathe deeply and with ease.
The band shouldn’t move. It should fit snugly and comfortably.
Raise your hands above your head. Did the elastic band move? If it’s up your rib cage, try a smaller band. If the bra has straps, try adjusting them.
Furthermore, the cups shouldn’t have any crinkles or gaps. If the cup fabric is wrinkly, try a smaller size.
Make sure there is nothing rubbing or chafing around your arm holes, straps, seams, hooks, clasps or anywhere else.
Many sports bras offer adjustable straps, so be sure to adjust them to feel supportive, but remember comfort is key. Furthermore, make sure the straps aren’t digging into your shoulders.
Luckily, most new sports bras use high-tech fabrics, including moisture wicking. This can improve breathability and help remove excess moisture caused by sweat which can cause chafing. Cotton bras will stay wet; and this can lead to skin irritations.
For the last step, jump up and down, jog in place, do jumping jacks. If it feels supportive, you’re set! If not, keep looking.
Just some tips on how to fit a sports bra correctly, however a better option would be to pop into Satin Candy and receive a proper fitting.
For more information go to www.satincandy.co.za, or pop into one of the two stores situated at 72 Old Main Road, Kloof (031-7645541) or 222 Lilian Ngoyi Rd, Morningside (031-303 3315)